Thursday, March 25, 2010

Valuable or irreplaceable...you decide

When I give consultations occasionally the same verbage I use to describe the pre-sale preparations start to bore me. So I will change my synonyms a bit to make the consultation 'fresh' for myself.

One phrase I hear myself say over and over without a single change, 'If it is valuable or irreplaceable go ahead and pack it '.

The intention is not to frighten the seller but make them aware of the potential for theft.

In the past I have had sellers ask if people really steal while 'house-shopping'. My response is 'Let's keep honest people honest'. Then a few weeks ago after repeating my afore mentioned phrase, Mr. 'Seller' tells me that he had name brand garments missing from his closet, after a showing, while his house was previously listed. I would never have thought to recommend packing designer clothing!


The items that fall into the catagory of valuable or irreplaceable vary from listing to listing.
Jewelery is a big one on the list.
Most people want some baubles and bling to adorn themselves with during the sale of the home. To these individuals I say conceal the jewels, out-of-sight out-of-mind, right!
Other sellers are ready to pack them off to the safe deposit box, which is a great idea in my opinion.

Great-grandma's vase on top of the buffet is another piece that should be packed away for safe-keeping, there is nothing like a shattered memory. And this goes for anything that can never be replaced. Why leave it to chance?

In the children's rooms all of their little collectibles and even some toys are so special they should be pre-packed.

As a stager I cannot always identify the possessions that a seller considers valuable or irreplaceable, my goal is to make them think about those special items in the home and keep them safe.

So until I come up with a way to convey this message in a different phrase, I will repeat this one ....
'If it is valuable or irreplaceable, go ahead and pack it!'

No comments:

Post a Comment